Parent Organization: University of Alberta
One organ donor can save eight lives and one tissue donor can enhance the lives of seventy-five individuals. However, Alberta has one of the lowest rates of organ and tissue donation in the country.
The Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness at the University of Alberta group shall work towards increasing the awareness of students at the University of Alberta of the need for organ and tissue donors. Furthermore, this group will provide educational opportunities to students regarding the registration and donation process. Of particular importance is an understanding that the circumstances under which one may become a potential organ or tissue donor are quite often sudden, unexpected, and tragic. While surveys show a majority of individuals support organ and tissue donation, many do not discuss these intentions and decisions are left to grieving family members. Fortunately, with the passing of the “Human Tissue and Organ Donation Amendment Act” by the Alberta legislature in 2013 a provincial organ and tissue donation registry was established. This registry enables individuals with intentions of being organ or tissue donors to register their intent to donate. Registering one’s intent to donate organs or tissue is a means of providing guidance during this decision making process. Therefore, in addition to providing educational opportunities for students at the University of Alberta regarding the lifesaving possibilities of organ and tissue donation, this group will help facilitate registration in the provincial registry for those students who are eligible.
Specifically, the group shall operate for the purpose of:
- Raise the awareness of students at the University of Alberta about the dire need for tissue and organ donors in Alberta, and raise awareness of the provincial registry.
- Encourage University of Alberta students to have “Declaration of Intent” discussions with their friends and family.
- Encourage eligible members of the University of Alberta student body to register their intent to donate in the Alberta registry.
- Serve as a prototype to be adopted by student groups at other Universities in Alberta.
- Encourage provincial legislators to continue to support Bill 207, the “Human Tissue and Organ Donation Amendment Act”.
- Coordinate with off campus groups in situations which will benefit this group towards its mission and objectives. Such groups include but are not limited to the Alberta Donates Life Coalition (ADLC), the Tissue and Organ Donation Awareness Committee (TODAC), the Alberta Transplant Institute (ATI), and the Canadian Transplant Association (CTA).
Edmonton, AB T6G0A5